Clean and Prosperous America
Youth Grassroots Campaign
Why Youth Grassroots Engagement is Important
Youth living in small towns, suburbs, and rural areas generally disengage from the political arena, yet their weight during election cycles can be significant if contacted correctly. Historically political organizations have failed to properly motivate this hard-to-reach demographic, however grassroots organizations have an advantage, and evidence points towards a rising wave of youth engagement and concern. Grassroots organizations are best positioned to deliver effective peer to peer messaging that will bring young people to the polls; especially in battleground states saturated with ad budgets. Therefore, CaPA is funding and supporting grassroots organizations in 12 battleground states. These grants focus on mobilizing young people to vote, specifically for climate-friendly candidates in the 2020 election.
Our Grant Giving Program
Utilizing grants from CaPA, our partners are engaging youth through direct climate education, civic leadership, outreach campaigns, voter registration, get-out-the-vote drives, and much more. CaPA is also providing our partners with a Youth Voting Toolkit including free access to voter outreach, engagement tools, and professionally researched messaging guides for connecting with small town, rural, and suburban youth. With CaPA’s support, youth-led organizations in key battleground states are stronger and more capable of increasing youth turnout this election cycle than ever.
How Our Assets Support Grantees
CaPA’s Youth Voting Toolkit provides grassroots organizations with researched-backed resources including:
- Messaging guide for reaching youth voters in rural and suburban areas based on:
- Survey of 1,760 respondents nationwide
- Four 2-hour Focus Groups with 29 participants
- Survey of 900 respondents in AZ, MI, and PA
- Free access to phone banking, peer-to-peer texting, and relational organizing tools
- Free access to Vote.org Vote By Mail sign-up and other registration widgets
- Strategic council, including targeting engagement activities on politically nested geographies and matching messaging themes to the audience.
- Content sharing to boost social media synergy between organizations.
CaPA financially supports a broad range of grassroots initiatives, reflecting the complexity of reaching the Ambivalent Youth demographic. Our first cohort of grantees encompasses minority focused groups, policy centered organizations, and more. CaPA also diversified its support of small and large groups, with grantees’ membership numbers ranging from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands. CaPA’s monetary support sets each of our carefully vetted grantees up for long-term success beyond the current election cycle.